Monday, July 21, 2014

Miss Kennedy

Kennedy Webster Monson was born July 5th, 2014 at 9:41 a.m. The last few weeks of pregnancy seemed to take forever! Part this was because I had Swen a month early, and the other part was that I had no idea how she was going to be delivered.

I was really hoping to have a successful VBAC, and my doctor was very on board. However, with a previous c-section I couldn't be induced, so I would have to wait it out. He said that he doesn't like women to go past 41 weeks, so I had a c-section scheduled for July 8th at 5:00 PM (41 week mark). Once I hit my 36 week appointments, he started check my progress, or more accurately, lack of progress. Every single week, everything was the same. The same as in NOTHING was changing. I wasn't dilated at all at my 40-week appointment. I was so discouraged, and I asked him what he thought my chances were of going into labor on my own in the next week. He said it wasn't likely. He could tell I was upset, and said that he would be more than happy to move my c-section up to an earlier day. This was 4th of July weekend, but he didn't seem to mind.

So after thinking about it for a little bit, I called and made an appointment to go in earlier! I would go Saturday morning to have our little girl. I was so excited and so terrified at the same time. I remember the surgery with Swen and did not like any part of it (except that Swen and I both made it here alive of course). It was very rushed, and I had no idea what was going on. Then when Swen got here, they took him away from me, and I just lay there while they sewed me up. Plus the recovery was terrible. I was in so much pain and had lost so much blood that I felt so weak.


This time was completely different, and I can honestly say it was a GREAT experience. They weren't in a hurry because it wasn't an emergency, and they talked us through everything. They even had a mirror so I could watch her be born! The first thing I saw was a TON of dark, black hair. Then when they pulled her out, she was the most beautiful little girl I had ever seen. She also had the loudest cry I had ever heard from someone so little. They wrapped her up very quickly, and Matt held her right by my face the entire time that they were stitching me up. I didn't feel like I missed out on anything this time around, and it was a great experience. One of the nurses even told us that soon they will be doing skin-to-skin with all c-sections, which makes me so excited!


After three nights in the hospital, I finally got to bring her home. The adjustment to two kids really hasn't been too hard. She has the happiest little spirit about her. She loves to nurse and be held just like a typical newborn! Swen is doing great adjusting. He loves to put his cars and blocks all over her. He also likes to name all her body parts. I am so grateful for these two children, and I still can't believe they are both mine!




No comments:

Post a Comment